Below are my two cents to suggest how we can avoid such sad incidents. The idea is to develop and use business intelligence tools that trigger alerts to local police- when legal but suspicious gun purchase transactions are done with local gun stores.
The gun seller should run his "Profiler software" : to see if this buyer can be danger to common people
If the profiler suggest something odd an automated alert should go to local police that a suspicious behaviour was "noticed" with buyer X and local police should question this buyer
Local police should visit this odd buyer and do their due diligence whether the gun holder deserve to keep the gun or not.
What needs to be done:
- All Gun Stores - transaction inventory - should be connected to local Sheriff/Police database: Make it mandatory. That the police receives daily reports - who bought what gun where.
- Gun stores - needs to create profile questionnaire for all buyers and feed it into a profiler software . Eg
- Whether the buyer is a first time buyer or regular
- Quantity of ammunition
- Type of gun
What is required:
- Political will to ensure that buying gun is not easy
- Develop this Profiler software (existing tools can be customized)
Disclaimer : I am not software guru so not sure what will be the technical requirements to develop this tool. But this is my attempt to see that we don't lose innocent lives because some crack-head is not happy with the society and found it easy to buy a gun.